Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Well, I bought it...
"It" being an Envision G22LWk 22" Widescreen LCD. See, the problem is that I have a shelf over my monitor that my printer and scanner live on. Yeah, my iceberg is kinda cramped. So I couldn't go taller. But a 22" Widescreen is about the same height as the 17" LCD that it replaced. Only wider.
Some lessons learned:
Next up, I suppose, is upgrading my motherboard/CPU/memory/video card to less... antiquated... hardware so I can view DVD's full screen the way they're meant to be...
- DVI is much sharper than analog, and this thing won't work at full 1650x1050 resolution in analog anyhow.
- You have to reboot your system to make Linux use the DVI output rather than the analog output, because Linux consults the BIOS, and if the BIOS didn't see it during boot time, Linux doesn't see it.
- The free 'nv' Nvidia driver is too slow to drive 1650x1050 worth a darn.
- There was no pre-packaged "nvidia" proprietary driver for the low-latency Ubuntu Studio kernel. I tried downloading the proprietary nVidia driver straight from the nVidia web site, but could not get it to run. I finally removed every trace of it and installed Envy and told Envy to install the nVidia driver for me. It did all the magic needed to get it going. Whee!
- My Linux system is still too slow to view DVD's at full resolution though :-(. (Combination of fairly old/slow video card, slow motherboard, and old CPU).
-- Badtux the Linux Penguin
Posted by: BadTux / 5/30/2007 11:27:00 PM
*eyes glaze over* You wanna explain that to me again?
# posted by angry ballerina : 31/5/07 7:39 AM
Only if you can explain to me why a woman needs more than two pairs of shoes - one for work, and one for everything else.
It's a Linux penguin thing. Leave it at that :-).
- Badtux the Snarky Penguin
# posted by BadTux : 31/5/07 9:20 AM
I started collecting shoes when I was in the.....entertainment biz....It's become and obsession ever since. I don't know why women like shoes, who do racoons like shiny objects??
# posted by angry ballerina : 31/5/07 11:32 AM
and men like to play in their pants...sorry i couldn't resist...smile
glad to see your geekiness out here in blogland...refreshing
and about those shoes...must be a girlie girl thing...i own 10 pairs..the only thing i'm obsessed with is the latest technology...
oh, and what i originally wanted to say..don't you hate when you get that new technology and forgot to upgrade the rest of the package???
# posted by azgoddess : 31/5/07 1:24 PM
What ever. I'm going out to enjoy my low tech fire for a bit. Hugs.
# posted by BBC : 31/5/07 7:09 PM
I believe in many pairs of shoes and large monitor surfaces. Currently I am running 2 19" monitors and I have around 10 pairs of shoes.
I am considering picking up a 22" widescreen to be used with one of the 19s in portrait, and a blue deck shoe.
# posted by NewsBlog 5000 : 1/6/07 3:59 PM
- Name: BadTux
- Location: Some iceberg, South Pacific, Antarctica
I am a black and white and yellow multicolored penguin making his way as best he can in a world of monochromic monkeys.
View my complete profile
April 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 /
Bill Richardson: Because what America needs is a competent fat man with bad hair as President (haven't we had enough incompetent pretty faces?)
Cost of the War in Iraq