Monday, March 07, 2005
New Bush ambassador to UN doesn't believe UN exists
Yessiree, our brave leader has surpassed himself yet again, by selecting John Bolton, who famously stated that the United Nations does not exist, as our new ambassador to the United Nations. Since Mr. Bolton apparently believes that the United Nations has about as much reality as the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus, it's clear that he's going to be highly effective at, uhm, being ambassador to the Easter Bunny. And since he's being nominated to be ambassador to an organization he believes doesn't exist, surely he will be committing fraud if he accepts a paycheck to be ambassador to an imaginary organization?
But then, this isn't the first time that Mr. Bolton has been nominated to pretend something doesn't exist. During Iran-Contra, his job within the Reagan Administration was to pretend that the Contra drug dealers weren't actually importing cocaine by the ton on the same planes that were hauling guns back to Hondurus for the Contras. Then while employed by the Bush Sr. administration, he was paid by the Taiwanese to propose that the United States give Taiwan a seat in the United Nations as an independent country.
Let's see, other things that Mr. Bolton doesn't believe in:
- Diplomacy. Diplomacy is for wimps. He called the leader of North Korea an "insane tyrant" in a meeting with the North Koreans about their nuclear weapons program. The North Koreans walked out. He showed them the finger as they walked out.
- Treaties. Mr. Bolton doesn't believe in treaties. For example, when a bio-weapons treaty was being hammered out, he sabatoged the meeting and made sure that bio-weapons remained legal.
- Population control. Apparently John Bolton believes it is our God-given duty to reproduce as often as possible.
- The environment. There is no such thing, he says... it doesn't matter whether the world is turned into a poisoned radiative wasteland or what, just as long as multinational corporations can make a profit while doing it.
So what does John Bolton believe in? Well:
So let's get this straight: John Bolton's notion of diplomacy is to nuke'em 'till they glow. His notion of treaties is that they're a bad idea. His notion of the United Nation is that it doesn't exist.
- Imaginary bio-weapons in Cuba. Apparently he thinks the impoverished embargoed Cuban government has spare money for making bioweapons?
- Guns for everybody. He showed up at a UN arms control conference with representatives from the NRA, who were there to make sure that nothing short of a nuclear weapon was banned.
- Nuke'em 'till they glow. He says the U.S. has the right to nuke anybody it feels like nuking, whether or not they're a threat to the United States, whether or not they used some banned weapon first.
Bush's conclusion? A PERFECT United Nations ambassador! Yessiree, it's clear that Mr. Bolton is going to be highly effective as ambassador to the Easter Bunny (which he apparently believes has as much reality as the United Nations)... and hey look, we save money as a nation too, since obviously Mr. Bolton isn't going to accept a salary to be ambassador to an imaginary entity! Truly an inspired choice by Mr. Bush!
- Badtux the Snarky Penguin
Posted by: BadTux / 3/07/2005 01:44:00 PM
Tux, well done. Your gift for the absurd details so wonderful to watch. Thanks for your passion.
# posted by The Heretik : 7/3/05 8:32 PM
- Name: BadTux
- Location: Some iceberg, South Pacific, Antarctica
I am a black and white and yellow multicolored penguin making his way as best he can in a world of monochromic monkeys.
View my complete profile
April 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 /
Bill Richardson: Because what America needs is a competent fat man with bad hair as President (haven't we had enough incompetent pretty faces?)
Cost of the War in Iraq